How to Find The Right Deck Building Contractor for your Design
Building an upscale deck that lets you enjoy the seasons from the comfort of your home is a dream for many homeowners. Your home may have come with a small stoop or no deck at all. Or, you might have outgrown the standard deck on your home, and you’re ready to replace it with something larger, more functional, or more stylish. In any of these cases, you need to find a deck building contractor to complete your job.
At Dupont Construction and Remodeling, our specialty is quality, custom-built decks that you’ll enjoy for years to come. We hire only the best carpenters and installers to work with us, so we know some things about choosing a deck builder. Before you decide “who is the best deck builder near me?” and make your hiring decision, you’ll want to have some things prepared to help you compare contractors. Here are some steps to take to help you with this important decision.
Prepare a Preliminary Design
Before you contact potential contractors, you need to have an idea of the dimensions of your project. The size of your deck determines the materials costs, which are a crucial part of the estimate.
You’ll also want to consider design factors such as:
- Levels: Is this a single level deck, or will it have tiers?
- Stairs: How many entrances to the deck will you have and how high are the stairs?
- Features: Will you want a portion of your deck to have a pergola, for example? How about space for a fire pit?
- Built-ins: Are you hoping for benches, planters, or a cocktail rail?
- Shape: Is your deck a basic rectangle or square, or are you hoping for something more architectural or unique? How about a bump-out for the grill?
- Materials: Do you prefer wood or a low-maintenance composite material or a combination?
- Upgrades: Will you need electricity for things such as ceiling fans? What about gas lines for grills or integrated heaters?
This preliminary idea won’t be your finished product, but the deck builders you call need to have some idea of what you want in your new deck. They can help you itemize and determine what you can afford now, and later.
A good deck company will also help you understand the future cost of adding on to your deck down the road. You never know how you will feel five years down the road. It is relatively simple to add on to your deck, and it is important to consider the potential costs now.
Compare Your Quotes
Once you have a few quotes in hand, it’s time to compare them. Not every quote is the same, and some companies will include itemized list in the quote while others don’t. It is ok to ask questions at this stage. You want to know what is included before you sign the dotted line.
While it may be tempting to go with the lowest bidder, you’ll want to consider this decision carefully. Inquire how they can offer this price. Are they cutting corners that affect the quality of the deck? Are they using the highest quality materials so that your deck will last for many years?
Not every bid is the same. While some bids may seem lower at face value, the company might not be using the best materials that will last, costing you more money in the long run. At Dupont Construction, we use the highest quality materials at every step of the way, from the frame to the decking. We make sure your deck will last, and we don’t cut corners.
A deck is a large investment in money and time. Hopefully, you will be spending a good deal of time there. You want your money to go a long way. Don’t fall for the cheapest bid without doing additional research. Just because it is the least amount of money up front doesn’t mean it is the best deal.
Check reviews, recommendations, and licensing
Once you have your list narrowed, look at reviews and recommendations. Perhaps a friend, neighbor, or family member has recently had a deck built. Ask them about their experience and whether they would recommend the contractor. You can also find reviews of deck building contractors local to you by searching Angie’s List for “decks.” Keep in mind that only a portion of clients take the time to post reviews, but you can get a good sense of what the public thinks about a particular contractor from this site.
Almost all states have licensing requirements for deck builders. Angie’s List License Check tool can help you make sure your potential contractor is properly licensed.
Interview Deck Building Contractors
Hiring a deck builder is an important decision. Building a deck is a large investment and you want to be sure the person you hire is reliable, knowledgeable, trustworthy, and service-oriented. Here are some questions to ask potential deck builders as you narrow down your search to the right contractor for you.
- How long have you been in the deck building business?
- Can you show me some of the other decks you have built?
- Are you licensed, and insured? Can you show me your credentials? Do you handle the application for permits, or will I have to do that? What about coordinating with utility companies?
- When can you start work, and what is your estimate for how long the project will take?
- Do you offer a warranty for your work?
- Can you give me some references that I can contact?
- How do you handle payments?
Dupont Construction Knows Decks
Dupont Construction has been the contractor of choice for more than 100 families in the area. We are proud that so many homeowners selected us to make their deck dreams come true. Check out our gallery of completed projects, or read our rave reviews on Angie’s List. We are A+ rated by the Better Business Bureau, and we are committed to handling each deck building project with personal attention and absolute quality.
Contact us today and let us give you a quote for your deck building project. We would be honored to work with you.